Hendry Soil and Water Conservation District
History of Conservation DistrictsThe 1930's Dust Bowl disaster prompted the United States Congress to declare the soil and water conservation a national policy and priority in 1935; with the intent, to produce the active support of landowners on a local level. Soil and water conservation districts serve as a link between federal government and local landowners in order to focus on local conservation needs.
Soil and Water Conservation Districts are governed by Chapter 582 of the Florida Statutes
and are considered special districts in the State of Florida which are governed under Chapters 189 and 190 of the Florida Statutes.
For a list of Florida Statutes Click Here
Hendry Soil & Water Conservation District is funded by the Hendry County Board of County Commissioners as well as fundraisers, donations and a small administrative fee for processing FDACS cost share programs. The services provided for Hendry County are based on the needs of local landowners. Our partners at FDACS and NRCS may also provide services in neighboring counties.
"Conserving tomorrow beginning today"
For More Information About Agency Partnerships
The Hendry Soil and Water Conservation District is a dependent, non-taxing, political subdivision of the State of Florida, organized by the landowners of Hendry County. The first election ballots were cast on July 1, 1944.
View Hendry Soil and Water Conservation District Charter from May 1944 by clicking here
To view the minutes from the first HSWCD Board meeting on July 1, 1944 click here